Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

4 KITTENS found in shed were brought to me. look about 5

Customer Question

4 KITTENS found in shed were brought to me. look about 5 weeks old. eyes r runny, red, discharging, visible xtra eyelid. 2 of the 4 have one pupil that is in corner of eye. they r sneezing & sound like pigs snorting. for the last 40 hours or so, they have been getting eyedrops (tobramycin ophthalmic solution,usp) and orally amoxicillin & clavulanate potassium for oral suspension, usp. both 2x a day. not from vet. haven't been to vet yet. cant afford it. but, now that 2 have pupils in corner of eye.....I am very worried. of course they have fleas too. I am Kacey
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: also, how do I keep MY 4 cats safe?. kittens r in room in basement & I wash my hands every time I exit room
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Since your description raises worries of corneal ulcers (since pupils cannot occur as described), can you take a photo of this as it will let me see what you are seeing? To post online, you can use the paperclip icon above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I misspoke. their pupils r all in center. but the 2 in question have (I don't know what its called....a 2nd eyelid, 3rd eyelid?) an extra eyelid protruding to cover part of pupil. they have been on meds for 48 hours now. the 2 worst r sputtering, sneezing. when I give them oral med, I feel like the worst one is choking (I will try for a pic, promises)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 days ago.

Hi again,

There 3rd eyelids will often protrude with flu conditions, so that isn't abnormal at all. Often they will stay up until the upper airway infection is on the wane. In any case, further to what you are doing already, we'd want to be using supportive care for them (especially if one is struggling to take medications due to severe airway inflammation or congestion). To start, you can consider steam treating them. To do so, you can take them in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting them. You can also use a baby nebulizer, but often cats don’t like things held up to their faces. And since there are a few to wrestle, you can consider placing them in a small room (or take turns with a carrier) with a humidifier to give them that steam room/tent treatment to open their airways.

If you see lots of nasal mucous and congestion and the steam isn't shifting, use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. You can also use saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist but not anything medicated). Tilt the head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

As well, we need to keep a close eye that the kittens keep eating/drinking. The reason is because congested cats can go off their food if they cannot smell it. Therefore, if you see any appetite decline, then you can try tempting with smelly wet foods (since they are high in water). It may help to warm it up a bit in the microwave to help them be able to smell it better. And if they refuse, then syringe feeding might be necessary. In case you do need to syringe feed to remind them about eating, there are some good calorically dense diet options that can be used (ie Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet). You can also use watered down wet kitten food. These all will provide more nutrition per bite and can be watered down for syringe feeding if need be.

Finally, since there is a risk of feline herpes virus here, you might consider trying them with L-lysine. This is a nutritional supplement that can help them recover quicker and keep the virus at bay. This is available over the counter at pet stores, vets, health food stores. The animal specific ones tend to come in gels or powders, but you can use the human L-lysine (its the same) as long as you are able to crush the tablets (they are too big to give) to add it to the food. An average cat dose is 500mg a day and this can just help them against that virus to recover quicker.

Overall, we need to tread with care for these little ones. We'd want to add supportive care to the treatments you are using to give them a chance. Otherwise, further to good hand hygiene, you need to be changing clothes/shoes between these kittens and your own cats and keep your cats out of the airspace these wee ones are in since these agents are airborne.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.