Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I think my cat has a ruptured anal gland. What can I do?

Customer Question

I think my cat has a ruptured anal gland. What can I do? Trips to the vet are very traumatic for her. I don't know if I will be able to catch her.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your cat?
Customer: She has a sore on the side of her anus and licks it a lot. I just noticed it tonite
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Katie. I got her in 2006
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Katie?
Customer: She has been constipated. I have found stool outside of her litterbox
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if the gland has ruptured, then thankfully this tends to be less painful for them then when the gland is stretched/overfilled. So, once it has ruptured, it is still a concern but not an emergency one. In these cases, if the cat is amenable, we will flush the ruptured gland/wound with saline (1tbps salt to a pint warm water) 2-3 times daily. As well, if she is struggling to pass stool because of soreness, then fiber (ie canned pumpkin) or OTC cat hair ball medication can be added to her meals to ease her passing feces.

Otherwise, as these are high risk of healing with infection still inside and thus causing a second abscess, we do need them on antibiotics +/- kitty safe pain relief (since human ones are toxic). For those, she will need to see a local vet but if she is difficult to take to the vet, then do ring them about a home visit or consider your local mobile vet. That way they can come to her, confirm our concerns, and dispense treatment without that trauma of leaving home.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.