Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Eating well and drinking and shievering a lot She had

Customer Question

eating well and drinking and shievering a lot She had reaction to vaccine on 9.23, in the litter of 5 kittens all had reaction and 2 died
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: the other 3 were dehydrated and the vet suggested cooked ground chicken and fluid SQ. Kittens name is golden
JA: Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about golden?
Customer: het temp is 101, I just checked
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question about this little one. What is her name? That is good that she's eating well and drinking! When they are eating and drinking, it hopefully means that the situation isn't as serious. Does she have any sneezing or eye / nasal discharge? Is she putting on weight? Is she being social and playing with the rest of the litter?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No discharge from eys and nose, kind of laying all the time, the other kittens are the same way, just laying, but finishing all food, and I bring more, her weight keeps going up and down. Was 2 lb 4 oz, then went up to 2 lb 7 oz and then slowly went down to 2 lb 4 oz again. she looks sleepy
now eyes wide open but before they were squinting. I do SQ twice a day 3 cc each time and I suringe feed water and feline milk replacement 3-4 times a day
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 days ago.

How old are these kittens again? The normal rectal temperature for kittens / cats is 100 to 102.5. So all the kittens seem to be about the same?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
all kittens about the same, 11 weeks old today. This one is supposed to go home today. I am not sure if it is safe, temp 101 eating and drinking, but not as active as my previous litters. Before vaccination they ran to me when they saw me. Now they strech and do not move. I pick them up and move to the plate of food I bring and they eat.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 days ago.

If this one isn't completely acting normal, I would be hesitant to get it into a new home at this time. The reason is that going to a new home is stressful and it can cause them to not eat and drink well. At this time, being in a familiar environment and getting good nutrition and rest would seem to be the best to let him fight off what he may be having. Could it be a non-specific viral issue? The fact that they are eating and drinking has me hopeful that the situation isn't a more critical one.