Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.

WHy is my cat pulling out her fur ??? Her name is and she is

Customer Question

WHy is my cat pulling out her fur ???
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is a Calico and is 7 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hazel?
Customer: No , she has some mild dental problems but otherwise perfect weght and health
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 8 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This condition could be a number of disease processes listed below:

Stress Induced Obsessive/Compulsive

For the allergic, this will respond to Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This is the infant liquid form at the pharmacy given with a dropper. If there is no response to this, have your vet examine your sweet Hazel to determine if there are parasites and/or infections that would require prescription medications. If you cat is sterilized, this could be due to the lack of hormones and your vet has treatments for this. This is one of the most common causes for pulling hair out and there are medications that will help Hazel.

The last, stress induced OCD, may respond to Feliway. This is a feline pheromone that cats as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety.This can be purchased at the pet store.If this is not enough, your vet will have medications to help decrease anxiety and stop this skin condition.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you !
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 days ago.

You are very welcome!! I hope Hazel will stop this behavior soon!

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta