Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

I took him to the vet a few days ago for a head injury, and

Customer Question

I took him to the vet a few days ago for a head injury, and he's vastly improved. The only worry I have now is he hasn't pooped, however he is peeing normally
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: His head injury causes him to have a stroke we think on his right side of his brain affecting the left side of his body.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 14 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Poor wee lad!

Now if he may be struggling to pass stool in the wake of his stroke, then there are a few gentle colon supportive measure you can take at home to encourage the feces to pass. First, we sometimes find that cow’s milk can be helpful at getting things moving along since cats are like lactose sensitive people and will have increased gut movement with this.

Otherwise, we can use a GI lubricant to get things moving. Often we will use OTC cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) from the vet or the pet shop. Similarly, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. If he is eating, these can be mixed into his food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).

Further to all of this, we’d want to consider increasing the fiber in the diet. To do so, consider mixing a spoonful of canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil into his food. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease him eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into him (as canned food is 35% water). I would also encourage him to drink if he isn't drinking much. Especially as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. So, do make sure he has access to fresh water but you can also offer low sodium chicken broth if he is won’t drink properly for you.

Overall, if it has been a few days then this is getting to a time frame where we'd want to consider giving him a bit of a "push" to pass feces. Therefore, at this point, we'd want to use the above supportive care to just get things moving. If you do so, but don't' see feces over the course of today or he strains at all; then we'd want to have his vet have a feel of his GI to make sure there is no impaction (as then an enema under sedation may be indicated).

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.