Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My cat is in the very final stages of renal failure, and has

Customer Question

My cat is in the very final stages of renal failure, and has not eaten in 4 days. I want to give him some Lorazepam to relax him so he can pass. Taking him to the vet is extremely stressful.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Yeti
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Yeti?
Customer: I want to ease his suffering.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 month ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I am so very sad to hear Yeti is suffering. Renal failure in the later stages can be difficult and most cats have the surprising ability to linger in a state of dehydration and starvation for weeks. Unfortunately, there is no good at-home ability to safely and smoothly euthanize your cat. If you are searching for this at home then I must recommend have a traveling vet come to you. You may administer lorazepam at 0.125 – 0.25mg per day but it is not a drug that will aid in putting him to sleep. It may alleviate some anxiety, though, but it can cause profound depression or some cats get the opposite and become hyper excited and dysphoric. If you were searching for something to provide pain relief, then this is not a good choice; I would recommend ask your vet to prescribe something like buprenorphine for him.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.