Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

He has terrible diahrea with any stressful situations. We

Customer Question

He has terrible diahrea with any stressful situations. We just got back from a week long vacation and he pooped outside of the box consistently and all loose stools. What can I do for him to get him back on track every time this happens?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sage 2 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sage?
Customer: Nope he's a healthy big guy just very easily stressed
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Poor Sage!

This isn't an uncommon situation since cats are so sensitive to stress. In regards ***** ***** to reduce these loose stools for him after he has been stressed, we do have a few options. First, we can try to just firm up the stools themselves. To do this, we can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, 0.25tsp unflavored Metamucil mixed into canned food) to his diet as this will bulk up his stools and help keep gut transit more regular. As well, if he is very runny we could also use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is OTC at most pharmacies and grocery stores, of course avoid Imodium, Pepto Bismol or products with aspirin/salicylic acid as these aren't cat safe. Otherwise and our best option since they also contain a probiotic to support his good gut bacteria, we could use Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber. These are all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon. And you could even start one of these before the stressor to try to keep the gut in check.

Finally, in these times of stress, you could even try Sage on a short term light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. So, that could reduce his output and allow his gut a better chance to form firm stools in the wake of travel.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.