Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

She had blood in her stool. She is in heat. Could that have

Customer Question

She had blood in her stool. She is in heat. Could that have anything to do with it? She does not have diarrhea.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: No name yet. I found her last summer. I think she's around a year and 5-6 mos. old.
JA: How old is yet?
Customer: No name yet. About a year and 5-6 mos.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about yet?
Customer: No. She eats normally. Very playful. Has no trouble with her stool.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 15 days ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has she had blood in her stool? Is this her first heat cycle?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No, not her first. She will be spayed shortly. The blood just showed up. Only once.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Does she spend any time outdoors? Usually if there is fresh blood in the stool it typically indicates some inflammation of the colon. That can be due to stress, intestinal parasites, or if she ate anything unusual. It usually is not due to her being in heat. If she only had this one time and you haven't seen it again then she may have just been stressed at the time. I would monitor her closely to make sure it does not continue. If it does I would recommend getting a fecal sample from her to get her tested.

Do you have any further questions?