Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

15-year old male cat started crossing his front legs while

Customer Question

15-year old male cat started crossing his front legs while walking, then just collapsed onto one side and could not get up for about 20 seconds. After a minute or so, he was able to get up and start walking again. He is walking normally now and seems to feel fine. He has hyperthyroidism and has been on Methimazole 2.5 mg 2x/day for the past year. We were wondering what just happened and if we need to get him to the vet tonight.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Stella (yes, he's a male)
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stella?
Customer: For the past 2 days, his appetite has been off. He'll eat a little bit but not scarf down all his food like he usually does. He's also had some labored breathing, more rapid breaths.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. I need to ask a couple of questions to help determine the next best step.

when he fell over, was he conscious? Was their any paddling, like a seizure?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he remained conscious the whole time. No paddling, but when he fell onto his right side, he moved his left foreleg a few times like he was trying to get up.

My concern with that description is that he had a cardiac arrhythmia. If the heart is not pumping blood effectively due to an arrhythmia, then they can become weak, collapse and some times pass out. Because he is hyperthyroid, there is a strong possibility that he has underlying pathology of the heart. Has he had an ultrasound of his heart? Has he had a recent thyroid level?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No ultrasound. Last thyroid levels done around last December, 2 months after he started medication. Next test was due at the end of this month (1 year after starting medication).

Okay. It is a good idea to have him evaluated tonight. He may have a significant heart issue that is causing the collapse and most emergency clinics are going to be able to diagnose this, run a thyroid level in house and start him on medications if his heart rate is too high.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What should his heart rate be normally?

A cat at home resting should be around 100-120 beats per minute. You can take a 15 second count and multiply by 4 (easiest method)

Let me know when you get the rate. How is he breathing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He just started throwing up white foam and he's breathing heavily. We're off to the emergency vet! Thank you for your help!

So sorry. Let me know what happens. take care.