Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

I have a 12 week old kitten who is healthy and eating lots.

Customer Question

HI, I have a 12 week old kitten who is healthy and eating lots. Today she refused to eat and I'm not sure why?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Kia
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kia?
Customer: She seems a bit more passive...and has been sleeping a lot
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling, vomiting or diarrhea?

Any chances to her breathing? Congestion, coughing, or sneezing?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Any chance she has eaten something she should not have?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
There's nothing. Her tummy seems a bit bloated to me ...but in unsure. Other then that she seems healthy.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

Thank you,

Now if she appears a bit bloated, we'd want to make sure Kia is up to date on worming (which should be monthly until she is 6months old) as that is often a cause of that for kittens.

Otherwise, we need to monitor her closely if she isn't giving you any clues of what is causing these non-specific signs that she is feeling under the weather. And while we do that, we'd want to take a few steps for her. To start, we need to tempt her to eat since kittens don't have the reserves of adult cats and weakness/lethargy can worsen when they start skipping meals. Therefore, favorite foods are allowed or you could also try her with small meals of a light diet option like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free).

Just to note, if she keeps refusing to eat and seems overly weak at any point, you can we can try boosting her blood sugar by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into her and hopefully perk her up for us.

Otherwise, since dehydration can be a risk in situations like this, we'd want to keep an eye on Kia's hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you do find these dehydration signs, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, Kia's signs are are subtle and brewing gut or respiratory infections can appear this way, as can toxicities or foreign body ingestions .So,we'd want to tread with care, monitor her closely, and use the above at this stage. If she is fighting something off and improves in 24 hours we are happy. But if her signs linger or she develops any of those I asked about, then we'd want her seen so her vet can pinpoint which is present and start treatment to clear it quickly for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 days ago.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.