Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian

My cat is about 7. Years old. In the past 3 months is hungry

My cat is about 7. Years old. In the past 3 months is hungry and demands to be fed3-4 times a day in addition to dry food that is out all the time. She has also been craving fish oil. Is there something wrong. No decrease in activity or other symptoms

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your kitty!

Have you noticed if she is:

drinking more water?

Urinating more often?

Losing any weight?

More vocal or energetic?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Definitely more vocal. No other symptoms that I have noticed

Ok. So one of the things I become concerned about in an older kitty who has increased appetite and increased vocalization is hyperthyroidism. Oftentimes we will eventually see weight loss despite increased appetite, and urinary accidents/increased urination. It is possible that you haven't seen these yet because we are early in the disease process and these symptoms haven't developed yet. We do also worry about diabetes in older cats with increased appetite.

I would recommend a visit to your vet for an exam and some bloodwork to screen for these diseases.

If your kitty has had any vomiting or diarrhea, then another concern might be a problem with absorption of nutrients in the intestinal tract, but it sounds like that hasn't happened with her.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have seen a couple of vomits - maybe two at the most. She also is n outdoor kitty and is a voracious hunter, bringing in rats and fowl

Ok. We can occasionally see vomit with hyperthyroid kitties as well.

Another thing that would be recommended if she is an indoor-outdoor kitty would be fecal testing and deworming to ensure there isn't an issue with gastrointestinal parasites.

The safest thing would be to get your kitty into her vet for her to examine her and decide if bloodwork is needed to help aid in diagnosis.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.

You are welcome. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck to you and your kitty!