Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has been limping and tries not to put any pressure on

Customer Question

Hi my cat has been limping and tries not to put any pressure on one of his back legs. It's been a week and doesn't seem to be getting better. He just barely can use that one back leg for balance. Does he needs X-rays?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: I'm not sure - probably. He's an indoor/outdoor cat and I have lots of trees and vines, etc.
JA: It might be a fracture. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: His name is Tamirci (Turkish name) He's a rescue - probably 4 to 6 months old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tamirci?
Customer: not that I can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Poor Tamirci!

I have to say that it concerns me that he isn't showing any positive progress over the past week. With him continually favoring that back leg without improvement, it does make muscle strain/sprain or cat bite abscess less likely and raises concerns of hairline fractures, hip dislocation (though less likely if he can at least touch the ground), but also possible nerve or spinal issues. Therefore, with these in mind, a full examination and an xray would be ideal at this stage. That way we can pinpoint which of these are present and get him started on cat safe pain relief (as human options are toxic to cats). Hopefully, that will be all we need to do for him, but again if there is a hairline fracture, then we are best to know now so we can address it properly for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )