Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Discharge from cat's nose

Customer Question

Green Discharge from cat's nose
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) How long have you owned Socks?
2) Can you send a pic of the discharge?
3) Still eating and drinking well?
4) Is it from both nostrils?
5) When did it begin?
6) Indoor only? Outdoors too? Any added cats to the household recently?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Socks is an outside cat who has been around several months. I cannot send a pic but it is light green and thick. He is eating and drinking well. It is only in one nostril. I saw it today. I have an inside/outside cat Mikey who is 9 years old.

I suspect that this is a sinus infection/upper respiratory infection. The most prudent approach would be to have him examined and treated with antibiotics. If Mikey is not showing symptoms, treatment is not necessary for him but he may develop the same condition if exposed to Socks while he was not feeling well. Because Socks is an outdoor cat, your vet may recommend an antibiotic shot that lasts for two weeks called Convenia. This will keep you from having to medicate Socks 1-2 times daily for 7-14 days.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?