Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Yesterday, we found this very small, cat in our yard. She is

Customer Question

yesterday, we found this very small, young cat in our yard. She is super friendly! Her nipples are large and the hair is pushed away from them. She is skin and bones, so we have been feeding her and made her a bed outside. My question is do you think she has had kittens? I have looked all over our yard and cannot find or hear any. I don't think she is pregnant now as she has no belly.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?
Customer: she appears pretty clean for a stray, she does not appear to have fleas. That's about all I have.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 16 days ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. It sounds very much like she has already had kittens, especially if her mammary glands seem larger, and her abdomen is not big. The kittens may be elsewhere, or she may have already weaned them. She has most likely been malnourished because all her energy is going into milk production, and she is not eating enough. She may also have intestinal parasites. I would start her on a kitten food for now, and it would be a very good idea to get her to the vet to get scanned for a microchip and checked out, especially for intestinal parasites. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.