Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My boyfriend has just moved his 4yr old ragdoll cat into my

Customer Question

Hi, my boyfriend has just moved his 4yr old ragdoll cat into my house and she has always had a problem with toilet training. She was often peeing on his couch or going to the toilet right next to her litter tray and now she has started doing the same to my couch.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: He has tried many many things to stop her but nothing seems to help
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: her name is Rosie
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you please list what has been tried?

What diagnostics have been run by Rosie's vet and when?

Has she ever used the cat box exclusively?

Is she spayed?

Is she declawed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is an answer directly from my boyfriend about his cat.Her vet checked her over once before for any urinary tract issues but no problem, prior to moving here she was also checked up three times in a month while getting vaccinations updated and again she was given a clean bill of health. This particular vet seemed to think her issues were due to an older rag doll that used to fight with her at a previous home.
(He previously lived with his sister and her older male rag doll would sometimes attack her)Cat box yes.. but now has decided to use it sometimes but not others OR go to the toilet directly next to the litter.
(She used to go through stages of being good with the litter but would still occasionally pee on the couch. Her litter was also kept in a separate room from the other cat and only used by her)Spayed Yes, was when I bought her as a kitten.Declawed No.(She is a very frightened cat and often seems on edge. She was even prescribed Valium before moving but has not had any since changing home)I really hope you can help.
My boyfriend is so over it and is very concerned about her ruining my furniture.She has moved in now with my 11yr old cat who is completely calm and toilet trained. He has not attacked her or bothered her at all.
She has become more adventurous going outside and hanging around with my cat.

Can you or your boyfriend confirm that these visits with the vet did or did not include blood work and a urinalysis. I ask specifically because a check up usually means an exam and no diagnostics are done. If none have been done or uncertainty is present, it would be wise to repeat these.

Also, can you tell me how long the valium was used?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she had a blood about 6 weeks ago before she moved and before she went on the Valium. She was on the Valium for about 3 weeks with a 1/4 tablet daily.
She has not had this for about 2-3 weeks now though. We do have more so may start doing this again.She had her urine tested about 2yrs ago and everything came back fine.

Perfect. Having ruled out underlying medical issues, we can check that one off the list. It's the most common reason for cats to be inappropriately urinating. It's my personal experience that valium does not help greatly with behavioral cases in cats. I would recommend talking to your vet about using Elavil or Prozac. These can take up to 6 weeks of daily dosing. If the valium doesn't work, I'd move medications. I would also consider using feliway diffusers in the house to reduce her stress, if this might be a factor for her, as well.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We already use Feliway sprays also.Do you have any tips for things I can do to 1. Discourage her from peeing on the couch and
2. Encourage her to use the litter tray?

If you have not already added extra boxes, with different types of litter, in areas other than the one she's already using, that may help. It may also help to have the couch professionally cleaned and to even put a box on the couch. When I have a new cat in my household who might be having accidents on the couch, I buy either a tarp or use the largest trash bags I can find taped together to form a protective cover for the couch which can at least save the fabric.

Separation may also be required. If this is behavioral, don't hesitate to stop giving her access to the couch to see if this helps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We will add an extra box with different litter, I have been reading that a lot.
Also my BF and his sister used to have to cover their couches in foil when they left the house because she wouldn't jump on that but if they ever forgot she'd be straight back up there peeping on it. I don't want to have this cat rule our lives though and have to make my house covered in foil or my couches covered in plastic.It seems all the hints I am finding are the same so we may have already tried everything with no success ������

Unfortunately, if these don't work, your next option is to sequester her to a room without furniture and no carpet and also to look at behavioral meds long-term.