Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I've noticed one of my cats has had some discharge coming

Customer Question

I've noticed one of my cats has had some discharge coming free m one of her eyes the last couple days. I've been cleaning her eye with warm water a couple times a day. Tonight while I was wiping around her eye I noticed that it is red. I was just searching for things I could do to help her with her eye.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Willow
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Willow?
Customer: She's seven months.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

Sorry to hear Willow has this problem, hopefully this is something minor, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. While I cannot be 100% sure via the internet I would say from your description that the most likely thing that Willow would be suffering from is conjunctivitis which is an eye infection sometimes called red eye or pink eye. Conjunctivitis in the cat is easy to spot, the whites of her eyes will be red to some degree, the mucous membranes will be swollen and there may be a discharge which may be clear or green or yellow in colour. There are really two forms to consider.

A. Primary conjunctivitis : This is where the infection is in the eyes only, it is usually bacterial in origin although viruses and other organisms can be involved. It will usually respond quickly to antibiotic eye drops put in the eye two or three times a day for five days or so. This is common in the cat ...

B. Secondary conjunctivitis : This is where the eye problem is secondary to another disease process such as upper respiratory tract infections. In this case your cat will be showing other symptoms as well which would be likely to be of more concern than the eye discharge. This is more uncommon ...

2. My advice with any eye problem in the cat would be to take Willow to your vet and have her checked over sooner rather than later, you cannot be too careful with eye conditions as they can sometimes quickly go badly wrong and almost always prescription drugs are required.

3. Until you can get to a vet washing out your cat's eyes { very gently } with luke warm water would do no harm, however if the diagnosis turns out to be conjunctivitis then prescription drugs such as antibiotic eye drops would be by far the best treatment. But as far as home remedies go I have know clients resolve the issue in the case of mild uncomplicated conjunctivitis by irrigation the eye four times a day with cold tea. The tannin in the tea is a bactericidal agent you see.

4. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Willow's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Willow is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her eye discharge ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?