Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat eats (dry food) he is rapidly losing weight and is

Customer Question

my cat eats (dry food) he is rapidly losing weight and is almost skin and bones- he is nine years old. My mother once had a cat that with the same problem- her vet at that time prescribed an ointment -- made at an organic pharmacy- a small dab would be placed in the inside of the cat's ear -- over a short period of time- the cat gained her weight back-- the ointment had to be applied for the rest of the cat's life and she lived to almost 20 and in good health.. I do not know the name of the disease nor the name of the prescribed medication. The emergency vet here did not seem to know what we were talking about and found no other health problem that would account for this problem. We are so very scared that Harold is dying in front of our eyes, Any help would be so appreciated! Scot Berliner
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been showing signs?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Has Harold been drinking more?

Does he have a ravenous or poor appetite?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

Has he been passing more urine or has it been quite watery?

What tests did the ER vet do?