Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cat had cataract blood pressure now cant stand on her

Customer Question

my cat had cataract blood pressure now cant stand on her legs had xrays kidney and liver were fine eyes are fine now after her giving azarga eye drops bp is fine after givingamlodipine. also we gave herveraflox foe urine track blood .we alo gave her bayrill 50mg and mirtazapine 15 mg for appetite stimulator. now we are taking her for ultrasound any suggestion
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: she jumps on sofa everyday but since day before she is dragging on her legs cant stand
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: gismo 17years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about gismo?
Customer: no she was a fine cat
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 11 days ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 11 days ago.

The thing I am most concerned about is a blood clot.

This blood clot can leave the heart in the large blood vessels exiting the heart, but then get stuck in many of the smaller blood vessels leaving those major arteries. When this happens, it can cut off blood supply to a limb. Suddenly the cat limps on that limb and is very painful.

Think of wrapping an elastic band tightly around your finger. Pretty quickly it becomes painful and it is hard to use the finger. This is essentially the same thing that happens when a thrombus blocks blood supply to a cat's limb.

On exam, these kitties present with pain and limping. If the clot has gone to the right front leg (the first "exit" from the major arteries) that foot will be colder than the others and the nail beds will be blue. The blood clot may lodge in the caudal vena cava, which is a major blood vessel leading to both back legs. In this case, the cat will not be able to use the back legs but will drag them around and will be in severe pain. If this happened some time ago, the limbs may be so numb by now that there is no pain from them anymore. However, the pads will be notably cool, the nail beds will be blue and the cat will not have pulses on the back legs. This carries a grave prognosis.

Early treatment involves drugs to stop more clots from forming - the choices are aspirin or coumadin (rodenticide, rat poison, warfarin). Unfortunately, if there is a major clot to both back legs, treatment may not be possible.

Here is more about thrombus

Please let me know how she is doing.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
nails are normal white not eating drinking lot of water cannot stand for pee
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
taking her to vet
Expert:  Terri replied 11 days ago.

Check for low potassium which can cause muscle weakness:

The above is a MUCH LESS SERIOUS condition

Please let me know what is found and how she is doing.

Best wishes and prayers for her,

Expert:  Terri replied 11 days ago.