Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat is 16 yrs old, very thin....been in declining health

Customer Question

My cat is 16 yrs old, very thin....been in declining health past year...took to emergency vet 2 days ago...spent 400 on tests...they gave cat fluid under skin and said cat diabetic and need to be hospitalized 3 nights with insulin and fluids...I did not have any more money than the 400...I am on unemployment...had to take cat home with me....cat ate till yesterday and drank water till yesterday...today is just lying in bed and wont raise its head...think its diabetic coma...I think cat is dying...I put maple syruo on its gums....no response...put maple syrup on my finger and onto its tongue inside its mouth...cat still did not lick it or raise its head...I know cat needs insulin and fluids under skin...but I have no cash...should I call vet and work out deal..please help thank you
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if vet will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about vet?
Customer: cat is male, 16 yr old..pampered whole life...indoor cat all life...just down to 5 ppounds now...cat just sleeping now...wont wake up...breathing slow
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am very sorry to hear about your lad's situation, but what you are reporting is very worrying. In this case, he either needs to go back to the vet (and a payment plan worked out) or you need to think about having them put him to sleep. He cannot stay as he is as he sounds to be going into diabetic ketoacidosis and a diabetic coma. The longer he is like this the more risk of dehydration but also permanent damage to his brain and possibly his sight. So, in this case we don't want to leave him as he is and do need to intervene aggressively with urgent care or let him go and stop his suffering.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B