Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My cats had diorreah for 4 days it's a clay colour but not

Customer Question

My cats had diorreah for 4 days it's a clay brown colour but not that watery is eating and drinking and seems to be behaving as normal is an outdoor cat . Have kept him in the last 3 nights made it to litter tray one night but not last night. When he sleeps he can feel cold an stiff .
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: alfie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about alfie?
Customer: no don't think so
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 17 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How old is Alfie?

When was he last wormed and what did you use?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Alfie is 2an half yrs teeth and gums look healthy does catch a lot of mice neighbours do leave food out for badgers so could have eaten a number of things doesn't seem to tense when I feel he's tummy I did pick him up yesterday which made him go to toilet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 16 days ago.

Thank you,

First, I would note that with all those possible means of eating odd items, we do have a lot to consider with Alfie's loose stools. Though we also could see this with bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, or parasites/protozoa infections.

With this all in mind, its good that you do have him in for the short term but there are some supportive options we can try to settle his stomach. To start,

you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and help firm his stools. We can even add an OTC cat probiotic (ie Fortiflora, Benebac) +/- fiber (ie boiled pumpkin, 0.25tsp Benefibre mixed into a bit of canned cat food) to help firm the stools quicker and support the good gut bacteria. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Otherwise, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ Do avoid Loperamide, Pepto Bismol or salicylic acid/aspirin containing preparations as those aren't cat safe. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this GI upset we are seeing. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, test a stool sample, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with antibiotics +/- anti-protozoals and symptomatic treatment to nip this in the bud for Alfie.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 days ago.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B