Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Cat is sneezing like he has a cold what should I do, stormy

Customer Question

cat is sneezing like he has a cold what should I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: stormy almost 4
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: His name is stormy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about stormy?
Customer: He just had his shots about 2 weeks ago
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is he strictly indoors?

3- How often is he sneezing?

4- Any nasal discharge?

5- How much does he weigh?

6- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
About a week yes he is indoors a couple of times during the day yes when he sneezes 16 lbs no
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. I will not be able to make a live call, I am sorry.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, I am sorry Stormy is sneezing more often than usual. In response to your question, sneezing can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination. But, common causes are allergies, a cold, dust/smoke, a foreign body in the nasal cavity, nasal polyps, etc. to name a few causes.

I am going to make some recommendations that you can try if he continues to sneeze the next step would be a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian. This is what you can try:

1- Open the hot water in your bathroom and allow him to breathe the steam/vapor for 5 minutes 2-3 times a day.

2- Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg tablet every 12 hours for 3-5 days. You can buy Benadryl over the counter in any pharmacy.

3- If no improvement after doing the above I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter