Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I just returned from a two week vacation. I have two orange

Customer Question

I just returned from a two week vacation. I have two orange cabbies. The baby was fine who I was worried about him and the bigger one is lethargic. Looks like he hasn't eaten well and is not himself at all...very concerned. Is it normal for a car to act like this? By just missing me that much? Or should he be tested? Someone was coming in a looking in on them. Please get back to me if you you can? Seems weak and is not the kitty I left two weeks ago.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Waiting for response...thanks
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 14 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Unfortunately, I am not able to offer a call at this hour.

Was the person checking in on them certain they were both eating well?

The cat who is not feeling well, does he appear to have any discoloration of the whites of is eyes or inside of his ears? Does his skin appear yellow or orange?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No...his eyes aren't as wide open as usual...I can see he was not eating well as he has lost weight...moving slow...his demeanor and spirit are not there...seems lethargic to me...been home almost a day not eating or drinking water...

He needs to see a vet then, especially if there is an undetermined amount of time that he's been without the desire to eat or drink. Your vet will likely recommend doing some blood work to check his organ values, perhaps also a urinalysis and x-rays, if indicated.

One of the most important things to know about cats is that under stressful conditions they are apt to avoid eating and drinking. This could be due to their regular family members not being home, due to unfamiliar people in the home, etc. One thing I would express to full clarity to the person caring for them is that they absolutely must eat and drink normally every single day. Cat are prone to a condition called fatty liver disease or hepatic lipidosis when they stop eating normally. This can onset as quickly as 3 days after change in eating habits and can result in liver failure. It's good news that you're not seeing a change in the skin pigmentation but this is one of the reasons for blood work needing to be performed, to ensure that liver damage has not occurred with change in eating habits. If you can go to the ER tonight, I would recommend it. If not, please see your vet when they open tomorrow morning.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 13 days ago.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing?