Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

It seems like my cat has an abscess - he was limping for a

Customer Question

It seems like my cat has an abscess - he was limping for a few days and now his shoulder is quite swollen. I have a vet appointment but that is over 24 hours away. he is still eating/drinking but definitely lethargic. Am wondering if it is safe to wait for vet apt or if I should take him immediately to emergency vet.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. If he is eating and drinking, it most likely isn't an emergency, but if his eating or drinking drop off just a little bit, I would have him seen sooner. The biggest reason to take him now regardless of eating and drinking would be to get him more immediate pain relief and start feeling better sooner. While not common, an infection in the blood stream can occur. If that starts to happen, he will start looking a lot worse. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your cat is doing and to see if you have any further questions.