Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian

My cat is 8 years old and has suddenly stopped eating 4 days

Customer Question

Hello, my cat is 8 years old and has suddenly stopped eating 4 days ago. Any thoughts of what might cause it? Nothing has changed in her life/environment.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Princess
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Princess?
Customer: She is a siamese cat that is 8 years old and is extremely overweight. She is 22 pounds
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 13 days ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Princess is not eating. If she is as overweight as you describe, this will become life-threatening very quickly. Obese cats are prone to a condition called hepatic lipidosis, which is abnormal fat metabolism when they are in a starvation state.

Possible causes of her not eating in the first place include diabetes, bladder infection, arthritic pain, liver disease, kidney disease.

I would strongly advise taking her either to your local animal ER tonight or to your vet first thing in the morning for treatments. Hepatic lipidosis is very treatable and most cats do very well afterwards.

Does this help? What questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 10 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Amanda