Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

What would cause a cat to pant like a dog? My 6 year old

What would cause a cat to pant like a dog? My 6 year old Siamese/Domestic mix hates to be put in a carrier and panted the whole time and meowed!

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that your cat behaves as you've described.

As you probably know, it's fairly unusual for a cat to open-mouth breathe and when they do, there's usually only a few reasons why:

1. They're extremely stressed, anxious and upset or

2. They may have cardiovascular problems which are typically quite serious.

It's not uncommon for cats who are placed in a carrier and driven to the vet's office to become quite stressed and vocalize so I'm fairly certain this is the explanation for his/her behavior.

You might consider use of Feliway which is a cat-specific produce which contains safe pheromones designed to reduce stress and anxiety. It's not effective for every cat but it can be useful for many of them. It's available in a wipe or spray which you would use on the inside of the carrier; just be sure it's dry before placing your cat in the space...usually about 10-15 minutes.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you I'm sure that must be it! We had to evacuate home bc of hurricane Matthew and he was acting oddly the whole time ! Even hissing at his sister whom he loves and sleeps,eats and plays with normally! So stressful few days! Hopefully things will get back to normal now that we are home!

You're welcome although I'm sorry that I was off my computer when you responded back.

I'm certain that he's reacting to the stress of the situation...particularly yours!

Hopefully, once things get back to a normal routine, he won't be as reactive.

Best of luck with him and glad you're all safe. Kind regards, Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb