Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Not eating because bowel Is packed wth poop Being given

Customer Question

Not eating because bowel Is packed wth poop Being given enimas for one week. Still poop way in. Question can surgery remove material if that is all it is? Cat is in weakened state haven't not eaten in 10 days Vet wants to do exploratory surgery. What do you think .
JA: What confuses you? I'll do all I can to help. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Sonny
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sonny?
Customer: 10 yr old. Very healthy with the exception of one year ago had similar problem with not eating. Diagnosis was pancreatitis then. We lucked out and through some medsand force feeding he got better
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 16 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 16 days ago.

I am sorry to hear about Sonny's condition. If he has not eaten for a week, he must be in a weakened condition.

If enemas can't loosen or break down the stool packed inside him, the next step would be to sedate him, and reach inside and manually remove the stool. Some cats have a blockage that even that won't treat, and they need surgery.

If he has a condition called "megacolon", where the colon muscles are stretched and loose and unable to muscularly push out stool any longer, surgery is the only way to help him.

Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 14 days ago.

I hope you were able to see my response. I have not heard back from you! How is Sonny doing?