Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My cat has had a problem with his back legs for a little

Customer Question

My cat has had a problem with his back legs for a little over a year now and it is getting worse. The front legs are normal, but the back legs seems uncoordinated and often just give up, resulting in him falling or dragging the body. We took him to the vet a year ago, mostly because he was having small 'attacks' of slightly trembling while starring.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: No I don´t think so, the first vet said it might be epilepsy and arthritis, but the second vet thought his legs looked like they were okay, but his walk was really bad, so either some spinal issue or something with the brain...
JA: It might be a fracture. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he's 15 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nattemann?
Customer: He is eating and drinking normally.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 17 days ago.

Preparing an answer now.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 17 days ago.

Based on your description of how the hindlegs are being impacted, the conditions that would come to mind first (in no particular order) include:

1. Arthritis! Absolutely, a important differential.

2. Diabetes. It's called a diabetic polyneuropathy that can cause irregular hindleg weakness

3. A disc herniation somewhere in the spine.

Great that eating and drinking normally. I think a vet visit to get some x-rays of the hips and lower spine might answer a lot of questions! In addition, at 15 years of age, a basic blood/urine test would be invaluable to evaluate overall health and organ function.

It's quite possible Natteman could do very well on a long-term non-steroidal anti-inflammatory like metacam, or a drug called Onsior that your vet may carry. Also, a little pain management trial with buprenorphine might help as well.

Definitely, maybe some options here, but you'll need a new vet visit to discuss the above.

Hope that information helps

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you for your answer.I just watched a video of diabetic polyneuropathy in a cat and it looks like that, but he had the basic blood test in june and everything looked normal, even though the problem with the legs started long before that, is that possible?He is on metacam since monday, but it hasn't helped his legs.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 17 days ago.

Probably not. Actually, with how long this is going on, if it had been diabetes related, he would probably be very very sick by now since not started on insulin. Not likely, but it was a consideration.

Good about metacam. However, if spinal he will continue to have deficits. Metacam might help with some discomfort but the weakness appearance will persist.

Definitely worth continuing the metacam, but I would ask the vet about adding in a low dose of some buprenorphine to help manage any other underlying pain.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 15 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?