Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

I accidentally closed Olivias (chinchilla) cage door on her

Customer Question

I accidentally closed Olivias (chinchilla) cage door on her and she fell from the top of her cage and I think she had a seizure :( she's hiding under the couch and i can't her out Her eyes are droopy and her ears are back
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A chinchilla
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the chinchilla?
Customer: Well I'm pretty sure she had a seizure
JA: Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the chinchilla's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** shes about a year old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Olivia?
Customer: I think it happened because I closed the door on her when she numped out of her cage :(
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 19 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How is she just now?

Any swellings or sore areas that you can see or feel?

Does she still seem subdued?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Any changes to her breathing or appetite?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
She wont let me get close enough to her to check her out. She's under the couch and won't come to me at all. Her breathong seems normal though. She doesnt want ant food or treats.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I'm pretty shook up so I could only imagine how she feels. When shes scared she hides until shes ready to come out. I'm hoping that sometime today she will come out and let me put her in her carrier but right now I cant get to her. But i can see her.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 19 days ago.

Hi again,

She certainly will be unsettled and stressed by this situation. She could even have a degree of shock, bruising, or even internal damage from the fall. Though while I am very glad to hear that her breathing is normal and hopefully she seems mentally normal (a concern after that suspect seizure), you may need to lure her out or even carefully move the couch. We want to give her a safe hiding spot (ie a towel covered carrier, a small closet where you could access her if needed) but we don't want her under there all day. Especially since she cannot afford to be off food/water for long. So, it'd be best to see if someone can give you a hand getting her out and into her carrier for monitoring. Once she is in, as long as she remains stable, has normal breathing and gums, and start to eat then we can continue to monitor. But any changes to that or if she isn't eating within the next few hours, then we'd need her to the urgent care for a check and chin safe pain relief +/- fluids to get her comfortable and counter any shock from this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 17 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.