Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My cat hasn't eaten all day and she ate fine yesterday. Only

My cat hasn't eaten all day and she ate fine yesterday. Only difference is, is that it's a brand new bag of food. Same kind she's used to. She sniffs it but won't eat it. Should I start to seriously worry?

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your kitty is not eating tonight.

There are a couple different things that I am wondering about-

-is she not eating the food because it is tainted in some way and she can smell the difference? Spoilage, mold, etc.

-is she not eating because she is nauseous? Could she have eating something else that is bothering her stomach?

-is she not eating because she has some metabolic disease? Kidneys, liver, pancreas, inflammatory bowels, etc.

I would recommend trying some other kind of food that you know she likes, like a fresh can of something tasty. If she still doesn't eat that, you can try giving her some Pepcid. The dose for cats is 2.5mg once daily.

If that still doesn't work, she needs to see her vet first thing Monday morning.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's a brand new bag with a 2018 expiration date. She's acting like she normally does. I had a cold this week. I don't know if that affected her or not. I don't know of any other food she would eat at this point. She just had her annual check up two weeks ago and all was well.

Your illness likely did not affect your kitty.

I have seen food bags that are fresh opened that are spoiled, even though the packaging says the expiration date is in 2 years.

Does she like tuna? cooked chicken? cheese? You can try those as well.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will get a new bag and try the runs, chicken, or cheese. If those do not work, she's going to the vet Monday for sure. How do you know when a bag of food is bad?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry, tuna, not runs. Auto correct.

Your vet can submit the food to your state diagnostic laboratory for testing. You can also call the number on the food bag for customer service. A reputable company will refund your money and may pay for testing of the food.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Gotcha, but on general first look at it you can't tell it's bad, but the cat can sense it is bad?

Cat's sense of smell is 10,000 times better than ours. They also determine if something is good to eat based almost exclusively on smell. If the food is tainted, it may smell slightly different.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Great. Thank you so much for your help. I will try your suggestions, and if there's no improvement, she's going to the vet on Monday.

That sounds great.

Best of luck to you and your kitty,

Dr. Amanda

Hi Mary Beth,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rigby. How is everything going?
Dr. Amanda