Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My vet just diagnosed via xray that my cat has cancer...

Customer Question

my vet just diagnosed via xray that my cat has cancer... approx 15 y/o DSH, CBC/Chem/Thryroid/Lytes all pretty normal
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Pepper approx 15
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Pepper
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pepper?
Customer: she had blocked urethra/surgery 2014, she has had some weightloss
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
my question is what type of cancer would not show any abnormal lab values on CBC. Her CBC/Chem/thyriod/Lytes were all within normal range (BUN, Alk PHos, HCT a little off but nothing major). Xray does show intestines being pushed to side but i could not really tell much other than the lack of seeing the matching kidney on xray. everything just appeared cloudy/ghostly with no distinguishing organs. on Side view Vet also said, and i confirmed though I"m not a dr), that heart was camaflauged also behind a white haze on xray. I'm not going to do ultrasound because it's not worth just doing it to know what and where the cancer is. THere is nothing to do to reverse the cancer so my take is jut comfort care for my cat. I am curious to know what family or type of cancer it may be
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've attached the xray and blood from my photos
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Please give me a moment to review the X-rays and lab work.

Pepper's elevated ALP and total bilirubin in conjunction with a decreased BUN suggests hepatic insufficiency. The liver is poorly visualized in the thoracic films and not at all visualized in the abdominal film. Free fluid is likely masking the borders of the liver. I can see both kidneys but there's a mass effect on the right side of the distal spine. It's not where a major organ resides and so I would be concerned that it represents severe lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes). There's also an ovoid mass effect in the left cranial lungfield. These changes aren't pathognomonic of any one particular type of cancer but I would consider multicentric lymphoma or carcinomatosis in such a patient.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?