Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian

Possible parasite small worm like cat scratches bites self

Customer Question

possible parasite small worm like cat scratches bites self raw hair gone at specific location
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** she's around 3 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Queenie?
Customer: she always acts like shes just been scolded or hurt in some way.she hunkers down when someone gets near and she prefers to stay hidden
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 14 days ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Queenie is having these issues.

I am going to ask a few more questions to get a better picture of what is going on with her-

-where on her body is she chewing her skin?

-how long has this been going on?

-is she spayed?

-any change in litter box usage?

-what food does she eat?

-how many other pets are in the house and what species are they?

Please let me know the answers to these questions so that I can help you today.

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** issues are kinda new,just started in the past month and a half to two months. one day she just starts not using her litter box and peeing and pooping on our area Rugs in the bathroom and other rooms,so at night I have to start keeping my room door closed with her inside with me to stop her from doing that. my room is where her litter box and food and water dishes after I started doing that she began to hide in her enclosed litterbox and lay around in her own waste. this bothered me for more than one reason. first she already had these open wounds on her body,which are on her head,neck and shoulders,and on her butt,flanks and tail. We thought these were flea bites made worse by her constant scratching. and second it seems very unhealthy to do that. we had a medium size dog for about 2 months but the guy who got it decided to take it back to his dad's cause he didn't have time for it once he started college. he said the dog was a fox and german shepherd mix,but looked more like a corgi than fox. this month makes a full year since we got the cat,she was a starving stray who was a mess when we found her at the place we moved into.she was partially hairless and had scabs all over then too. I recently had her spayed in July I believe. she currently eats a mix of foods cause she seems to get bored and stop eating if I don't change it up frequently.

I am sorry, but I am not set up for phone calls. I can chat with you in this forum for as long as you need to have all of your questions answered.

I am reading your answer above and will be with you shortly.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
ok thanks

Okay, thank you for the very thorough history. This is very helpful!

Just one more question- is she the only cat in the house?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ma'am she is the only cat

There are several steps that need to be taken to determine what is going on with your kitty and get her feeling better-

First, she needs a veterinary exam. They can evaluate her skin and decide if she needs antibiotics. They can also perform a skin scrape to look for mange.

Next, she needs blood work and a urinalysis. The bloodwork is to check her liver, which, if diseased can cause skin problems, and the urinalysis is to look for an infection or blood in the urine. If any internal disease is found, that needs to be treated as well.

If no diseases are found on the exam and laboratory results, the next step is a diet change. The most common cause of skin problems in cats is a food allergy. I would recommend either a limited ingredient diet such as venison and green peas or a hydrolyzed protein diet such as Royal Canin HP. This may take a month to see results.

If the diet change doesn't work, you could consider allergy testing or steroids if we think that she is allergic to something in her environment.

Lastly, you need to remove the lid off the litter box. Cats don't like enclosed spaces for toileting because they feel vulnerable. They do like enclosed sleeping places, though, so you may consider adding a cat bed for her.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok Thanks for your Time and suggestions

You're welcome. Do you have any more questions?