Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

She just ate fertilized grass, Chloe. She is 10, She has a

Customer Question

She just ate fertilized grass
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Chloe. She is 10
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chloe?
Customer: She has a sensitive stomach
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago?

How is she just now?

Was it just manure or was there any chemicals? If the latter, which ones?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think there were chemicals. It has been about two hours.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am not sure what chemicals. My brother in law laid it down but I will not be able to reach him until tonight. It was fertilized last night.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She seemed ok, but I am watching her. We almost lost her to pancreaitis a few months ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello again,

My apologies that I was away when you did reply.

Now if she is fine 2 hours on that is positive. Especially as the dose of fertilizer she'd get from eating grass wouldn't be as much as we see when dogs get into the fertilizer bag. Therefore, as long as she is still stable, we'd want to take some supportive care steps for her stomach/ To do so, we'd want to put her on light diet for the next few days .Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And of course, if she starts to vomit, have belly pain, or goes off her food, then we'd want her vet to start injectable anti-nausea treatment and fluids to help get her over this.

King regards,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She seems to be doing ok.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for the update,

I am very glad to hear that she is alright and hopefully she didn't have any worrisome signs.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )