Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Is it possible to register a cat to be a service animal?

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 month ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about registering a cat as a service animal.
I'm sorry if you're having problems leading you to ask this question, but it's a good one. You can rest assured there are some cats who fill a role as certain types of service animals, such as "Emotional Support Animals", or ESAs.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.
In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• What kind of service animal are you asking about specifically?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well on this lease it states "no pets of any kind unless it's a service animal
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 month ago.

Understood.

In that case, yes, there are legal precedents where a person who requires an ESA (and has the medical paperwork to back it up) is able to use that status to have their pet allowed on a lease.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 month ago.

And, yes, a cat can easily qualify as an ESA.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 month ago.

While it would be unusual for a cat to be trained for any type of service work other than as an ESA, that is within the realm of possibility too. You just have to go through the necessary training and documentation.

You can learn more about the legal requirements of ESAs here.

https://www.nsarco.com/emotional-housing.html

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 month ago.

Does this help to answer your question at this point in time?

I want to be as helpful as possible, and if you tell me more about your situation, I'd be glad to help.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 month ago.

I hope this information was helpful to you.

Please also remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.
If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to ask you have any additional questions about cats as service animals. I want to be as helpful as possible.

Thank you.

-Dr. Jo