Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My cat is meowing, but nothing is coming out. He a big

Customer Question

My cat is meowing, but nothing is coming out. He a big talker, but no voice now, his purring has gotten very loud, not like before. I put him on wet food today, cause I don't see him drinking. He has skin allergies due to his size, so I have him on that food....he's sick of it now, but I don't see him drinking, that's why wet food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Oscar, 8yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oscar?
Customer: He's 25 lbs over weight marble Bengal, have kept him separated from others due to his eating everything.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 22 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 22 days ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- To make sure I got this right, your question is about him not having his voice, correct?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
he's usually loud
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 22 days ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I don't think anyone is taking this seriously
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I don't see your response.....I'm not using phone
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Not calling at this time
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 22 days ago.

I will provide your answer on the thread. Can you tell me how long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
About 3 days. He's very fat, so we noticed he was getting sores and we thought maybe he has an allergy to food so I have him on this prescription Skin Food sensitive ZD food and also he's taking an experimental medication that they said they never use these ads but it seems to be working on him apaguil
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 22 days ago.

Thank you. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
They said apoquel....he's actually sleeping in his carrier, he only does this when he's scared like thunder or something
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 22 days ago.

Friend, what you are describing is consistent with Laryngitis. This is very similar to us when we yell in a sporting event or concert and we loose our voice for several days. In this case, Oscar may have been meowing a little too much. Usually, with rest of the vocal cords, it will restore the voice within 1-2 weeks. It is also important to remember that there could be an underlying medical disorder like: laryngeal paralysis, tumors of the larynx, infections, etc.

I would recommend you do your best in placing him in an area where he doesn't meow for the next week or so. If no improvement within the next week I would have him checked by the family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Mahalo. I made an appt.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 22 days ago.

You're welcome. :)

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
This consultation, five dollars is fantastic. Thank you seriously...
They're won't be surprise charges??
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 22 days ago.

If you have any questions about charges you will need to direct them to customer service, I am sorry. I only answer veterinary questions.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 19 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter