Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat is suddenly loosing hair on his hind legs and in

Customer Question

My cat is suddenly loosing hair on his hind legs and in small patches on his ears. He has flakey dandruff (not dander) and is a Munchkin Manx rescue from Georgia. I need to know what to do to help him. Thank you
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 14 days ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 14 days ago.

Hello again,

Hair loss and dry, flaky skin, as you describe, can be cause by various conditions. External parasites like fleas and mites could be responsible for the hair loss, even if you don't see any fleas or your cat is not an outdoor cat. Humans can bring fleas into the house on shoes/clothing. Hair loss can also be attributed to a fungal skin infection called ringworm, which has nothing to do with a worm at all. Here is more information:

Ringworm can also cause dry, scaly patches which may or may not be itchy.

If this is ringworm, an over the counter anti-fungal cream, like Lotrimin AF may help, but it is harmful if ingested, so your next best step would be to bring your kitty to the vet for an in-person evaluation and he can be tested for ringworm with a special light called a 'Woods Lamp,' which is like a blacklight. The ringworm spores will be irridescent under the light, if present.

Hair loss and dry, scaly skin might also be related to skin allergies that may be caused by environmental and/or food issues. Many cats are allergic to poultry, so some manufacturers make 'limited ingredient diets' for these cats, which contain novel proteins and carbs. Royal Canin, Natural Balance, Blue and many others make these kinds of foods with duck and green pea, venison and brown rice, and many other varieties.

Some over the counter sprays and lotions can also help with these allergies if your cat is itchy and/or needs to restore moisture and Drs. Foster and Smith make some good ones.

Adding more Omega 3's to your cat's diet can also be helpful. You can add Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil that comes in a pump bottle, right on your cat's wet or dry food:

Bring your cat to the vet for a definite diagnosis and treatment and I hope all will be well!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Expert:  Cher replied 11 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Cher replied 9 days ago.

Hello again,

Just a follow up to see how everything is going with your furry boy.

Did you find my answer helpful?

Please let me know.