Dr. Chelsea Pulter
Dr. Chelsea Pulter, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  associate veterinarian at Banfield

I noticed my cat drooling excessively and looked in her

Customer Question

Hi. I noticed my cat drooling excessively and looked in her mouth and it looks like she has almost a canker sore type thing on her tongue
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Freya and she's about 5 months I believe
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Freya?
Customer: That's all that I've noticed, she still is active and from what I've noticed still eating.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Chelsea Pulter replied 18 days ago.

Hi I am Dr. Pulter. I will be helping you with your question. Give me a minute to respond.

Can you answer a few questions for me? Do you know of any toxins that she may have gotten into? Any plants/flowers? Any vomiting or pawing at the mouth?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
We keep all the cleaning supplies in the cupboard so I don't think she's gotten into any of that. I did receive A bouquet of roses and smaller flowers. I haven't seen any vomiting or pawing at the mouth.

Drooling can indicate nausea or oral irritation. The sore may be causing your kitten to drool. What is causing the sore is a little bit harder to determine. Sores in the mouth of such a young animal usually points to some type of irritant that they may have gotten into. Please look around your house for any indications of Freya getting into something. Also toys can cut the mouth so look for sharp points on toys. Other more serious causes could be something going on the inside such as Calici Virus, which causes oral ulcers and respiratory signs or end stage kidney failure. Something you can do right now it to try to rinse your kittens mouth with water. Ideally Freya would see her vet soon. In this modality I cannot diagnose or prescribe treatment, But if you have any other questions I can do my best to answer.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok thanks

You are welcome. I hope Freya feels better soon.