Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

I have a 10 year old cat. His right eye is very swollen and

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old cat. His right eye is very swollen and it looks like there is a film over it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Lucky
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucky?
Customer: I adopted his and his records indicate he is not good at the Dr
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 18 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Lucky. It's very difficult for me to assess eyes from afar. In general, they need to be examined hands-on. Can you upload a photo(s) of Lucky's eye to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as

I need to see which part of the eye is swollen and if the "film" over it is the prolapsed 3rd eyelid (nictitating membrane) as I expect it is. Does Lucky go outside and associate with other cats? I'm always concerned that a cat fight caused eye damage. Are there symptoms of respiratory infection such as nasal discharge, sneezing, or coughing which would suggest that the swelling you're seeing represents an infectious conjunctivitis?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I'm in work so I can't give you a picture but no he stays in the house

I understand. If there isn't another cat in the house that fights with him, I would conjecture that you're seeing an infectious conjunctivitis such as caused by the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1), or the bacteria Mycoplasma or Chlamydophila. It's best that the eye be examined by his vet who knows how to handle not-good-at-the-vet-cats. The danger of "watchful waiting" eyes is that they can "go south" in a hurry. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 16 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?