PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I have 2 indoor cats that are litter mates. They're both 9

I have 2 indoor cats that are litter mates. They're both 9 1/2 yrs old fixed, and very acclimated to our crazy home. Over the last month or 2 our female has started peeing on the dogs bed, mine and my husband's bed, my oldest son's bed, and any clothes on the floor. Their brother who was fixed, and litter mate to themake passed away last month. Could she be stressed about going to the litter box because of this? How can I solve this without having to lock her into the bathroom with the litter boxes?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: ShyAnn
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about ShyAnn?
Customer: I've talked to my veterinarian about it and he did all the blood work, urinalysis, and said it's because of her weight. She's been on a diet for over a year and she's not losing the weight. She gets a half cup Purina Cat Chows a day. I used Arm & Hammer Natural litter. She gets up, and down, and even runs around at times. I don't let them sit idol all the time. She won't really eat any other kind of food either, except wild game meat like deer, oryx, elk, and fresh fish.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I also have 4 outdoor cats that occasionally come inside. The outdoor cats when they come in use the litter boxes, or demand to go outside to go potty. I have 2 litter boxes for the 2 indoor cats, and used to have 6 before my 3rd indoor cat passed away. I had to change litter about 4 months ago due to ShyAnn developing allergies from all the chemicals in the litter I had been using since they were kittens. She won't use regular clay litter, and I've always used scoop able litter , cleaned either daily, or every other day, and washed out the litter boxes every other week to keep the smell down. ShyAnn, and Phantom (her brother) have always had the run of the house. Including sleeping in my children's rooms, in my room, and in the living room. I have hide aways for them, and have cat furniture around the house for them. She's never done anything like what she is now. Occasionally she would urinate outside the litter box because it got yucky smelling and she hates yucky smells. She doesn't have a problem with our dog, or the other cats she was raised with. She doesn't like a lot of people because she is a very shy cat, and she chose me as her person. If I need to take her back to our veterinarian I will, but I hate subjecting her to that kind of stress.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

The inappropriate urination you're seeing suggests that she has a urinary tract infection. The best approach will be taking her to your vet for evaluation where they can run a urinalysis. After this is done, your vet is likely to prescribe antibiotics. Once addressed, the symptoms should begin waning over the days that follow and she should stop using the bathroom outside of the box.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I've had her checked again and my veterinarian said she has another UTI. He gave her a shot of long lasting antibiotics and put her on Science Diet Metabolism and Urinary Stress diet. I've also learned that giving her canned food with water added will help her get more fluids and help her flush her system more. She's now using the litter boxes, and not other places. My house doesn't smell like cat pee, and she's happier and more loving again.

Excellent news! Thank you for reporting back. I am so glad to hear that she is improved.