Experience:  Emergency Veterinarian at Carolina Veterinary Specialists

I have a newborn kitten that was abandoned by it's mother.

Customer Question

I have a newborn kitten that was abandoned by it's mother. She s urinating frequently upon stimulation; however, she has pooped only once since she was found Monday 7am. I have tried the stimulations and don't seem to work. what can I do/
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Emily
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Emily?
Customer: Her eyes are open and she is taking kitten formula well. very hungry kitty
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r- replied 21 days ago.

Hey there,

I just wanted to get a little more information about little Emily to better assist you. How often and how much are you feeding her the formula? Also, if you aren't already you could try using a warm wash cloth to help stimulate her to defecate. Since Emily most likely wasn't getting the nutrition she needed prior to Monday, it is possible that the food hasn't had a chance to move through her system yet but if she still is not defecating for you (usually about 1-2hrs after a meal) then I would have her checked out in person by a veterinarian.

Dr. C

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
She defecated once yesterday on her own. around noon. She is taking pet smart kitten dry formula feeding about every two hours. She takes about 15 to 20 ml of formula every 2 hours. Sher is urinating well. But am not successful in getting her to defecate. I have been using a wash cloth. It may not be warm enough. She is very energetic. but sleeps most of the time.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
She defecated one and only time Tuesday around noon

The wash cloth should just be luke warm. It sounds like she is doing pretty well for you otherwise, which is great to hear! Were her stools formed or diarrhea yesterday?

Dr. C

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
No. It was soft but solid.

From what I can tell, it sounds like you are doing everything right for her. I recommend that you try to make an appointment with a general practice vet to get her first check up just to be sure she is on the right track since she is so little but I wouldn't worry too much about the defecation at this time. If there is still no signs of defecation by tomorrow afternoon, I would defiantly have her seen at that point to be sure things are moving along normally and also to check for and treat any intestinal parasites she may have.

Dr. C

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you.

Absolutely! Good luck with your sweet little kitten!

Dr. C