Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have an 7yr old cat she has been coughing for an week an

Customer Question

I have an 7yr old cat she has been coughing for an week an conjested
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Tully
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tully?
Customer: She has had this more then once it seems to be an on going with her
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

Sorry to hear Tully is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. If she has only been coughing for a week the most likely diagnosis would be a respiratory infection of some kind, although of course other diagnosis are possible.

2. Sadly there is very little you can hope to do to help her on a home remedy basis as a great many of the human over the counter meds are very unsuitable for cats and could well make things much worse, so your best plan is to have a vet check her over. Also it is likely that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if she indeed has an infection. In the meantime until you can get Tully to a vet all you can do is to keep her comfortable and reassured and make sure she is getting fluids regularly.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if her condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That's the sad part the Vet I was seeing dropped me and refuses to give me any of her records so I can take her to another Vet for her to be seen....

Sorry to hear you have this problem with your vet, there should be no problem with you starting afresh with another vet records or not.

Hopefully this is a minor problem for your cat which will be easily remedied ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Tully is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her coughing ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.