Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My cat came from the human society and was told he had been

Customer Question

My cat came from the human society and was told he had been brought back to the society four times because he didn't get along with other another animals and children. When I got him home l discovered a lot of behavior problems. He chooses to pee everywhere but in his potty. Training pads don't help. He loves to pee on plastic. He has predicted on a sofa he use to sleep on with me. I realize he might do it because something had scared him, but at
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 19 days ago.

I am sorry to hear about Awai. Thanks for adopting him, and giving him a chance.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 19 days ago.

Have you had a urinalysis done, to be sure he does not have crystals in his urine, an infection, or other urinary problem?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 19 days ago.

Is he the only cat in your house?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 19 days ago.

I would first do a urinalysis to rule out a physical problem. If that is normal, there are the things I would try:

Adding Cat Attract to his litter box; an herbal supplement. You could also try catnip.

Moving his food as far from the litter pans as possible.

Having at least two litter pans.

He may have been punished in the past for this behavior: "rubbing his nose in it", being spanked, and then being put harshly into the litter pan. This only creates fear of the litter pan, so training him to like the litter pan can be helpful: the catnip or Cat Attract, giving him treats and rewards for walking anywhere near the litter pan.

Sometimes we have to use anti anxiety medication such as amitriptyline, or Prozac.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 16 days ago.
Hi Jaki Cottman,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Awai. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 14 days ago.

I hope you were able to see my responses; I have not heard back from you. How is Awai doing?