Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat is 14 years old and has always lived in the same

Customer Question

My cat is 14 years old and has always lived in the same place We just moved to a new place last week and she has stopped eating. She was drinking water and peeing until a day ago. She was always a small cat, under 12 lbs, and now is becoming horribly thin. I know it is stress, but taking her in the car is stressful too. We tried smearing a little food on her face and hands, hoping she would lick it off, but she has given that up too. I'm afraid we are going to lose her. What should we do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm so sorry about what's going on with your cat. I do tend to agree with you that stress may be contributing to her current behavior or it's possible that it has exacerbated or triggered a pre-exisiting condition which she's managed to hide until the move possibly pushed her over the edge.

Prior to this current situation, was she drinking a lot of water and urinating more than normal?

Any vomiting?

Has she slowly been losing weight or was it sudden?

Thanks, Deb