Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have an elderly cat who is blind. Last night my daughter

Customer Question

I have an elderly cat who is blind. Last night my daughter went to retrieve her from under the bed and accidentally hit the cat's head on the bed frame. Ever since then she seems lethargic and confused, does not purr when I pet her, and is not eating. Could she have had a stroke?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Banshee. She was a stray when I adopted her but I have had her since 2002 so she is at least 14.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Banshee?
Customer: We realized she had gone blind about a month or two ago, but she has still been walking around, eating, meowing, etc. until last night.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, its unlikely hitting her head on the bed frame caused her current signs. A significant head trauma that would affect the brain would need to be much harder. Instead, if she did suddenly go blind without a known health issue, I would be suspicious that she has high blood pressure (either on its own or secondary to kidney or thyroid issues). And if that spiked when her head was hit, then that could have caused a brain bleed. As well, if she is anorexic, then anything that could nausea or mouth pain could cause Banshee's signs.

Now with these in mind and given her lack of appetite, we'd want to have her seen once her vet is open. This is quite important since cats are not well designed to be off food and can develop secondary liver issues if we don't nip this in the bud. So, we'd want her vet to rule out oral discomfort (ie dental disease, uremic or viral mouth ulcers, masses) and nausea (from gut infections, pancreatitis or secondary to metabolic organ issues). At the same time, it would be ideal to have them check her blood pressure and do a neurological examination. Based on their findings, they can target treatment for these issues if found and give you the best chance of getting ehr stable and eating for us.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: