Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

I'm really worried about my cat, her health has declined

Customer Question

I'm really worried about my cat, her health has declined really quickly over the last week or two.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your cat?
Customer: She's lost a lot of weight, she is about half the size she use to be. She's always had hairballs but the last two days shes been trowing up cre***** ***** thick mucus. Now she won't eat anything except tuna when i sit and spoon it to her and her grooming has declined a lot. She can't keep herself clean and i just noticed as i was feeding her her gums are bleeding.. please help. The vet i took her to a couple weeks ago said everything was normal.
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: She's 15 years, is prone to ear infecctions and has been having more accidents outside of her litter box, around the house. Altho i've been looking threw her litter and her poop looks normal
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Also she now has a bold patch on her stomach.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 15 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your 15 year old. You and I both know that a cat that has lost half of her body weight isn't normal and, in fact, is critically ill. Her symptoms of profound weight loss, vomiting, inappetence, and bleeding gums are important yet not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. She's going to need the attention of a vet who is willing to thoroughly examine her including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests +/- X-rays of her chest or ultrasound of her abdomen. Time is of the essence. In cats of such advanced age symptomatic in her fashion, I need to consider degenerative disorders such as chronic renal or hepatic failure as well as age-related malignancies.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.