Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I have two cats 3 years old. I rescued them. One of them is

Customer Question

I have two cats 3 years old. I rescued them. One of them is having bowel problems. She didn't clean herself very good after a BM this am, so I wiped her carefully and noticed some bloody gelatinous stuff attached to her stool. Could she have hemmrhoids?
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 22 days ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. It sounds like she has more inflammation of the colon (colitis). More often than not, it is due to a dietary problem. It could be an abrupt change in diet, something new they ate or picked up off the ground, human food or new treats. Other potential causes are intestinal parasites, stress, masses in the colon, irritable bowel syndrome, liver problems or pancreatic problems. If she is acting fine otherwise, it probably isn't the latter two. I would still have your vet run a fecal exam on her at the very least and consider blood work if she seems sick in any other way. They can prescribe some medications to get this under control quickly. In the meantime, you can also try adding a teaspoon of either Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin to her food. The increase in fiber can help with colitis issues as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 20 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 18 days ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your kitty is doing and to see if you have any further questions.