Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My sphynx kitten has a swollen eye and she keeps licking her

Customer Question

My sphynx kitten has a swollen eye and she keeps licking her leg and rubbing her eye and will not let me touch it. I swaddled her and tried to look at it, it's very inflamed and red
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No it is her eye
JA: What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Bean
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bean?
Customer: She had to have a lymph node on her rear leg removed beginning of the year, and the symptoms just started when I got home from work today. My husband hasn't notated anything until now either
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Kaitlyn, how old is Bean, please, and why was that lymph node removed earlier?

In most cases either trauma or an infectious conjunctivitis will be responsible for that swollen eye that she won't leave alone. It needs to be examined hands-on by Bean's vet if only because eyes can "go south" in a hurry. In either case, a broad spectrum antibiotic ophthalmic ointment such as Terracycin is likely to be prescribed. Terramycin contains oxytetracycline - an antibiotic of choice because many of the infectious conjunctivitises of cats are due to either Chlamydophila or Mycoplasma - bacteria sensitive to the tetracyclines. The bulk of the infections are due to the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) which doesn't respond to antibiotics but we might still prescribe this ointment in an attempt to prevent secondary bacterial infection.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is going to be a year old in November. I will be calling the vet in the morning. They haven't figured out why it ( the node) was enlarged and decided to remove it for further testing

Thank you. Was the reason for the lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph node) determined? I'm pleased to hear that Bean's eye will be looked at promptly.

Hi Kaitlyn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?