Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

She peed on me while I was sleeping. I had spent quite

Customer Question

She peed on me while I was sleeping. I had spent quite awhile cuddling her. She than fell asleep as I read. Later, I fell asleep. I felt her hobbling (she is handicapped but healthy and well cared for) toerds my back. She leaned against my back and peed on it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Angel Girl. She is 14 but still lively.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Angel?
Customer: She is handicapped. She gets around in her own way. She has peed on the bed and couch before. She has never leaned against me and peed on me.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 18 days ago.

Hi! I'mCustomerand I can help with your question.

I'll need to ask a few questions of you to find out more about the situation first. Are you available at this time to have a conversation?

Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 18 days ago.

Can you first give me details about her specific handicap? That is very important for my understanding of her problem.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
She was born handicapped. Her vet said it was some type of brain damage. Her brother was the same way but died shortly after they were rescued. She has a problem with her balance. She is quite intelligent but does some quickly things sometimes that don't make sense to me. The vet did not think she would live long but she is 14 and healthy. I have had her examined at the vet before for peeing on the bed. A physical reason was not found.
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 18 days ago.

Oh thank you. It sounds like she has congenital cerebellar hypoplasia, which is like cerebral palsy in people. They can be wobbly and/or spastic and if startled can sometimes jump wildly. It doesn't get worse but also doesn't get better over time. They can have normal life spans. It is caused by exposure to panleukopenia virus in utero.

I doubt that her CH has much if anything to do with her inappropriate urination. There are two main general reasons why cats will urinate where they aren't supposed to: physical (urinary tract infection, arthritis, etc) and psychological (intercat stress, box/litter/maintenance/location problems).

How many other cats in the home? How many litter boxes? Where are they located? Are you using the clumping litter and if so, what brand? And how often do you scoop?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks. The litter box is clean an I do use the clumping litter. I have one litter box. Angel Girl is my only cat.
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 17 days ago.

Thank you.

Do you use scented or unscented litter?

Are the food and water bowls anywhere near the litter?