Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

I noticed earlier yesterday that my beloved hedgie has a

Customer Question

Hi.. I noticed earlier yesterday that my beloved hedgie has a large bump on his chest, closer to his right leg. is it very large. the size of a small bouncy ball. It is hard and doesn't move around. I don't know what to do! Or what it is!! I didn't notice it until recently and it seems to have popped up from no where!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A hedgehog, my apologies
JA: OK. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the hedgehog. What is the hedgehog's name and age?
Customer: Charlie, and he is 11 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie,?
Customer: He is eating and drinking normally. He has had dry skin and some of his quills have fallen out and are now growing back. His poop also looks normal. He is still playful and sweet.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 17 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Can you confirm he doesn't have one like it on the other side by the left leg?

How long has it been present?

Has he had any lameness with this?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
He doesn't have anything like it on the other side. But it feel like two bumps next to each other on his right side. It has only been present a week. He doesn't have any lameness with this either.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 17 days ago.

Thank you,

I have received your photos, will download them and post my thoughts shortly.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 17 days ago.

Hello again,

Now considering his age and the speak this arose, our main concern here would be an abscess from bacteria getting into the skin. Otherwise, we’d have to also be wary of soft tissue inflammation/hematomas (less likely if he hasn’t any history of trauma), cysts and growths (benign and to a lesser degree cancerous). Allergic reactions would be less likely if this has been present for more than a few days and lymph node based issues are less likely with it only being one-sided.

With this in mind, we need to tread with care. Abscesses will often need antibiotics +/- drainage by a local vet to clear. Though to at least exclude the others until you do have him seen, you can consider trying to exclude those other differentials. To reduce inflammation, swelling, and hematomas, you can warm compress this. To do so, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).

Otherwise, if this doesn’t settle and once he is seen, his vet will be able to aspirate the mass. This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If the remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If blood or blood stained fluid is removed, then trauma was most likely and pain relief/pet-safe anti-inflammatories can be used to settle the swelling. If the fluid is clear, then a cyst would be suspect and that can be drained or removed if causing bother. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained and the identity of the nature of the lump can be determined and whether it is something that is concerning or needs more serious treatment.

Overall, if this lump is recent and considering its appearance, we would consider those aforementioned concerns here. Therefore, as long as it’s not painful or obviously draining pus, then you can try the above but otherwise we’d want his local vet to aspirate this and dispense treatment if an abscess/infection is confirmed.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 15 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.