Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

She has been to the vet 3 times in the last 3 weeks. I've

Customer Question

She has been to the vet 3 times in the last 3 weeks. I've been bottle feeding her, she's had a body temperature of 95 degrees and today she had 2 seizures. She's 5 weeks old as well. Her blood sugar was low today and the vet told me to put her down.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about She 's?
Customer: She's only 12 ounces... no blood work has been done besides the glucose test.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When she walks she seems to hardly have balance she falls over alot.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What methods of warming her are you using?
2) What milk are you using?
3) How often are you feeding and how much in oz or mLs each feeding?
4) Has she had a recheck since the seizures started?
5) What is her story?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am using a heating pad to warm her at night she sleeps right next to me.. for milk I am using kitten formula. I was told to feed her 15 mLS every 4-6 hours but when I found out yesterday that she has low blood sugar I started feeding her more frequently. So every 3 hours and she usually eats 7mls. Her appointment was yesterday which was the same day she started having the seizures. That's one of the reasons why I took her back to the vet because I wasn't sure what was going on.She was born August 29h. She was the biggest kitten out of 3. About 3 weeks ago she started to get sick. The other 2 kittens were starting to grow and crawl around but Anela wasn't. I took her to the vet and I was told she was dehydrated. So that's when I started bottle feeding her. A week later I took her back to the vet for an eye infection and her body temperature was 92 degrees but she wasn't dehydrated anymore. I received antibiotics orally for her and a topical for her eyes. She weighs 12oz. And is 5 weeks old. She is about half the size of her siblings. When she walks she is very unbalanced.. I just didn't think putting her down was the right thing to do seeming no tests have been done. Since I've been feeding her more frequently and giving her Karo syrup she seems more active.

Can be more specific on the type of kitten formula. Are you making this? Is it KMR? Another brand?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it's KMR

I am concerned that she has not been eating enough overall. Her milk intake by size should be around 100mL/day. Her previous intake was only half of what she needed and this may have something to do with her small size and also her low blood glucose. It's wise of you to have moved her feeding amounts up to a higher level.

I am also not a huge fan of commercial milk replacers, especially for failing kittens. My preference is a much more rich, nutrient-dense food known as Kitten Glop. Recipe here: http://www.hdw-inc.com/glop.htm

If your vet has not already counseled you on the risk of congenital issues with this kitten being so frail and half the size of her siblings, let me be the one to warn you. Often kittens in her condition will barely hang on for weeks at a time until they eventually fail despite their owner's best efforts. I can understand why your vet has made this recommendation for euthanasia based on the history you have shared. The seizures and ataxia (falling over) may be linked to congenital issues or may be linked to her not receiving enough milk/calories in a day. This is another reason I mention the kitten glop because an easily, and quickly, absorbed sugar source is available with this milk that tends to show a fast responser for hypoglycemic and malnourished kittens.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?