Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I adopted a 7 year old Female Cat yesterday-she stayed in my

Customer Question

I adopted a 7 year old Female Cat yesterday-she stayed in my bathroom-earlyevening, then she went under my bed at night and sometime in the night she used her litter box-I have not heard or seen her all day and she has not eaten or drank any water-I have looked everywhere for her-I've looked absolutely everywhere in my apartment-is this stress of a new home?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Caddy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Caddy?
Customer: not that I know of
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 18 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
no thanks

Hi, Sharon. I am so sorry to hear that you're having difficulty with Caddy. This sounds like normal behavior for a nervous cat in a brand new home. Instead of giving her full run of the house, she needs to be confined to a bathroom for a longer period of time until she is confident. Once that happens, she can then be released into the house on her own accord and return to the bathroom if she feels scared. Often we give 1 additional room access per week until the cat has full access to the house.

It is absolutely IMPERATIVE that she be eating and drinking during this time. After 3 days have passed, a cat's liver can begin to suffer from not eating, resulting in a condition known as fatty liver disease (hepatic lipidosis) which can lead to eventual liver failure and death.

In your shoes, I would locate her and place her back into the bedroom. Is there any risk of her potentially escaping your apartment?

Make sure to look under and behind furniture and beds. The smaller the space, the more quiet and more dark the area the more attractive it will be to a scared cat.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
there is no way she escaped the apartment---
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
if I can't find her I can't get food into her

Excellent. Once she is located, you can confine her once again. If needed, place a small amount of canned food in a bowl in each room. The one she eats from overnight, assuming she eats, will let you know what room she is most likely in. Most cats will not stray more than 20 feet from their hiding spot.

You can, however, leave it out for her. You don't have to force feed her for her to eat. Many cats will come looking for food once a house is quiet and dark.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 15 days ago.

Checking in, Sharon. How is the search going for Caddy?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Caddy has been seen-she eats her food and uses her litterbox and ventures out to look at me at night
but won't come to me- I guess it will take her time to get to know me- but it is much more encouraging now.

It's definitely going to take some time. The best approach is to just let her go at her own pace. She will eventually come to you. This is good news :D

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks so much for your advise.

Absolutely. Happy to help.